2014 DJ Selection and Audition Process
Now that the dust has cleared from 2013, I'm just going to cover some minor changes to the selection/audition process that should make things easier for me.
What I've learned this year:
- The new system works a lot better than the open free-for-all audition system.
- Reaching out to people proactively leads to a lot of "I'm not planning on being there this year," which is a waste of everyone's time.
- The process of requesting demos when I have questions is a little awkward, and feels wrong.
So here's what's going to happen as far as this year:
- We're still going to be using an "experience and trust" system for booking DJs. If you're good, and you've played some other events, and generally people characterize you as reliable and consistent, you're in the running.
- To ensure that I'm not wasting time hunting down people who have no interest in playing, I'm going to ask that everyone who wants to be considered send in a demo. The demos do not need to be unique for this con, since full disclosure I'm not guaranteeing I'm going to listen to all the demos. Give me something you think is representative of what you do, and if your name comes up we'll have it on hand to give a listen to and know that you're going to be at this con. Live recordings are best; studio mixes or demos for other cons are okay too. I am going to try and at least consider all the demos, but depending on volume, this gets to be hard. There's no guarantee of this.
- As always, understand that if you're booked, it could be any night Thursday through Saturday. I'll do my best to accomodate you if you're up-front about your restrictions, but it's gonna bother me if I select you for Thursday and you say you're not showing up until Saturday morning, because it always sucks to have to take back an offer once the schedule's together and isn't fun for anyone.
I know that I could effectively just say "I'm taking demos again" but I feel like it's best to be completely transparent about what it is I'm doing with booking up-front so there's no confusion later on. As always, questions, concerns, etc. can be aired here or you can contact me at email@example.com.
- At least 45 minutes, no longer than an hour and a half.
- Uploaded to mixcloud only, makes it easier to keep track of.
- Emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- No le7els please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO LE7ELS.
Since this is a longer process, I'll just open the doors now and you can feel free to send in stuff at your leisure. This should give you a good 10 months to figure out if you're coming and get on the radar of people who will be available to play.
Have fun and good luck!