Anthrocon 2014 Wrapup
Anthrocon 2014 has come and gone, and here are some of the stats:
- Attendance: 5,861 attendees from all 50 states (plus District of Columbia) and 26 countries
- Total amount raised for The National Aviary: $32,372 
- Number of fursuits in the Fursuit Parade: 1,326
- A 3000 pixel wide image of the fursuit group photo can be found here. A giant 17,000 pixel wide image is over here, with a backup copy over here.
- Not only did we receive a "Gertie Award" from The Toonseum, the Mayor of Pittsburgh declared July 5th, 2014 as "Anthrocon Day":
- We had 3 solid nights of entertainment and dances from some of the best entertainers and DJs this fandom has to offer!
What comes next?
- If you have feedback for us, be it positive or negative, please fill out our post-con survey or post it in our post-con forum. We want to hear from you!
- Did you lose something at the convention? Please check our Lost and Found forum or watch the front page of our website for a future post of lost and found items that were turned into ConOps.
- Do you have photos? Please, share them in our Flickr Group and if it's not too much trouble to post them on the Anthrocon 2014 Pictures forum, that would be great!
Many thanks to the attendees, staff members, and the City of Pittsburgh for making Anthrocon 2014 happen. We shall return to Pittsburgh--the furry capital of the world, on July 9th to 12th, 2015 with the theme "Viking Invasion!" We'll see you there.
The final charity tally is CURRENTLY and TENTATIVELY $31,948.46. It may yet change some more.
Yet more was found to have been raised and got tallied in after Closing Ceremonies and I am awaiting corroboration by the Aviary's accounting. When the established final tally is determined - aiming for no later than Friday - I will post a full summary in the forums.
So how does AC day work if AC is july 9-12th next year?
Proclamations like that are made for only the one day, in this case July 5th, 2014. It's not a new annual holiday, alas.
Are these dates correct? IT wasn't announced at closing ceremonies that I heard? Why not the 4th of July weekend?
Ahh, glad that was brought up, would have just made the assumption it was over the fourth again(I know the joke about assuming), A extra week or so to wait... but.. being positive, probally airfare will be a bit cheaper as well(July 4th is probally a bit higher than average afterall.. had a great deal a few years ago when it was in late june). Still really had a great time at the con this year, kudo's to all the hard working staff involved.
The advantages of Anthrocon being over the 4th: Most people have that day off already from work; fireworks, events downtown.
The advantages of a weekend not including the 4th: cheaper flights, less traffic, some people (Like myself) find it easier to get that time off, less crowding downtown.
In 2016 July 4th will be on the Monday following the convention.
They do the best they can, but they cannot always get the same dates due to other events n stuff like that.
Although, during the 4th you gain more attention, cause Pittsburgh has a culture with nice and unique citizens. More tourist brings more revenue, especially with the charities
BTW As a falcon! I wish special thanks to the chairman with all his efforts with theNational aviary fund B-)
so where would i find the live stream recordings? i was in the anthrocon tonight show and would love to see it!
Currently all our footage is being worked on for editing and what not. Hopefully we should get them uploaded within the next week or two. There is a lot of footage.
Looks as if the survey needs check boxes for 'none' or 'other' for why did I attend and what events did I attend, there wasn't a choice that worked for me, so instead of flubbing your results, I just stopped taking it
*edit* ok, i finished it out
I cannot thank our hard-working staff enough, from all departments. Anthrocon went by me like a flash. We prepare for virtually the entire year for an event that lasts four days.
The numbers are astounding. I'm just totally floored. @_@
I love you all.
What he said. Great job, guys!
The con always swims by so so fast. It is alot of hard work for the staff, but the rewards are worth it. I am already thinking of new fursuit theme games for next year that we can enjoy together
As a non-attendee this year I am curious to know if there was anything unique done with the "Secret Societies" theme for this Anthrocon. Is it true that there were unique items given out and even "secret" meetings?
Well if they told you it'd hardly be a secret now then,would it?
I'm hoping that of the thousands of attendees at least one would be unable to keep a secret.
NEVAH!!We took a blood oath!
Ugh! I hate "blood oaths"
Another great AC! How will the Viking Invasion work if weapons are not allowed? I look forward to many painted shields from the various "clans" hehehe
On a side note, is it "possible" to locate any of the hotel's City of Pittsburgh Anthrocon black t-shirts in L or XL? Or are they hidden deep in the vaults of a secret society? xD
the black shirts are probably printed to meet demand only for con time.The local retailers who sel them probably figure there is limited demand for them excpet around convention time so by plan they are all mostly likely sold out.But dont fear! I am certain the shirts will be on sale again next july at the airport and local con hotels.